The UIA 2014 Scientific Committee announces that the deadline for Abstract Submissions has been extended till the 29th November 2013.
Please refer to the SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS on the website to read about the three sub-themes of RESILIENCE, ECOLOGY, VALUES (Education/Practice) and the specific Focus Areas which are being investigated with the Programme Partners: the South African Planning Institute (SAPI), the Social Housing FocusTrust (SHiFT), Affordable Housing and Informal Settlements (CIB W110), Open Building Implementation (CIB W104),
Public Health Workgroup (UIA PHG), Global Studio (GS) and the Design Society Development (DSD, UJ) groups.
This is an opportunity to engage with these topics in in-depth debates and share your research witha large
gathering of architects and related built environment and design professionals.
We look forward to receiving your abstracts. www.shsconference.co.za
1) AUA Council Meeting and CPD Workshop on Canberra Accord.
Venue: Kigali, Rwanda
Date: 5th – 7th December, 2013
2) Ghana Institute of Architects holds ECO BUILD CONFERENCE
Venue: Accra, Ghana
Date: 8th – 11th December, 2013
Africa Union of Architects encourages member sections through the Union, to join the Union Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) for the following reasons :
- Become part of the second most important democratic organization on the African Continent after the African Union.
- Gain access to broad-based exchange of knowledge and experience as well as economic, social, and cultural partnerships.
- Learn about and receive assistance on the theory and practice of effective decentralization and local development.
- Rely on a partner with whom to approach your government on critical issues relating to local government.
- Enhance your leadership and management capacity by joining our programs.
- Connect continuously with your peers in Africa and beyond.
- Become part of the most important network involving all levels of local government.
- Echo your voice in all regional, continental or global forums that discuss decentralization issues.
- Join the digital world and cross the digital bridge by owning your own webpage on UCLG Africa Internet portal
- Benefit from assistance in sourcing funds from and conclude project agreements with relevant institutions and cooperation agencies.
For more info, kindly follow the links: www.localafrica.org, www.Africities.org, Email: email@example.com
Summary of the AUA President, Tokunbo Omisore’s presentation in Rabat 2013 titled “Infrastructural regenerating developments are sought & celebrated by the world. Africa continues her ‘catching up’ strategy at the expense of her people’s degeneration over time…” reviewed why Africa should be cautious in catching up with the overpopulated and overpriced World. Africa must find her solutions and deal with some of her main challenges:
- Lack of infrastructures in terms of transportation, renewable energy technologies, and housing.
- Capital flight
- Insufficient Research and Development
To resolve these issues, the following solutions were suggested:
- The living conditions of the less privileged in cities need to be improved;
- It is important to restrict capital flight and brain drain from Africa
- Africa must control population explosion
- There is a need to invest in Research and Development which is the key to affordable Development.
The latter suggestion was successfully applied during the AFRIBAT FORUM held in Tangier, Morocco in June 2013, aiming specifically at promoting “Made in Africa” as a brand, through exhibition of
goods made in Africa, usage of local materials and support to innovative solutions for Capacity
Building in Africa.
The AUA President, Tokunbo Omisore also emphasized on the fact that affordable development for
sustainability must involve social, economic and environmental sustainability, and concluded his
presentation on these solemn words : « For African Cities to become and remain attractive we need
PEACE. We must all support POVERTY alleviation through POPULATION control and AFFORDABLE Developments for Sustainability ».
Opening Ceremony & Centenary celebration-Rabat 2013 World Summit
The AUA President, Arc.Tokunbo Omisore attended the 17th ARCASIA FORUM& 34th COUNCIL MEETING from 5th–10th October 2013.
Worthy of note is the Architecture Asia Awards (AAA) event, which the AUA needs toemulate asa medium to develop competitions among Architects and Students of Architecture in Africa.
ARCASIA proposes to exhibit the AAA at the UIA Durban 2014 in conjunction with the African Union of Architects.
Please refer to the SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS on www.uia2014durban.org to read about the three subthemes of RESILIENCE, ECOLOGY. VALUES (Education I Practice) and the speciﬁc Focus Areas which are being investigated with the Congress Programme Partners.
For Students’ Competitions:-
Please download the competition brief and the competition site information from www.uia2014durban.org.
This is a most exciting opportunity to engage with complex design challenges at a major transport interchange at Durban’s Warwick Junction, as well as an opportunity to develop unique spatial and technical solutions that explore large, medium and small scales of intervention.
Other Thinking | Other Regions | Other Practice | Other Disciplines | Other Communities